Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cherry Pie

I really should make a more concentrated effort to take pictures of things! But if I always waited to post until I had a picture to go with it my posting would be even more erratic than it is now. However I do feel pictures make blogs more interesting. I made a very yummy cherry pie last night but forgot to take a picture before we had some for dessert. I have become fairly proficient in my pie making as pies are my husbands favourite! And this particular recipe is his absolute favorite and I must add it is my favourite pie recipe too as it just tastes amazing. It is a recipe using either fresh or frozen sour cherries, I use ones I froze from our cherry tree, the recipe is out of an issue of the Harrowsmith magazine. Two differences in this recipe that I think are key to the amazing flavour are the use of minute tapioca as the thickener and the use of almond extract. Ever since finding this recipe almond extract had become my favourite, I often substitute it for vanilla or even add it when no additional flavouring is called for if I think it would be suitable. The pie wasn't really pretty, it boiled over a bit and I didn't do the nice lattice top but I think all pies look yummy. When I make pie I always use the whole brick of lard and separate it into balls (there are instructions on the Tenderflakes brand box), and then I freeze the extra so next time I just have to leave it out to defrost and just roll it out. As a side note you should not defrost in the microwave, this damages the dough and makes it tough. I have found when freezing the balls it is best to wrap them in cling wrap and then put them in a freezer bag to keep them fresher. My mother in law actually will line her pie plates and freeze it like that so it's even quicker to make the next pie but I do not have the freezer space for this and would worry that I would end up damaging it by putting something on top of it, but it is an excellent idea if you have the space.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment