Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November Objectives!

As you know from previous posts my husband and I are expecting our first child in mid-December. And while this is a very exciting time for us I have decided that I should set some objects to complete before the end of November.

Objective 1: Organize Organize Organize
I don't know about you but some how all my closets (not that there are many of those in our old farm house!) and dressers seem and other areas that are not main living spaces seem to multiply clutter! Not only that but, good intentions gone bad! I emptied my dresser as currently much of my wardrobe does not fit, so I could put my maternity clothes away. My mistake was taking everything out of the drawers and dumping it in the laundry basket in the corner (which is now stacked and overflowing!). Probably not the smartest move! My INTENT was to wash everything and line dry it then put away in rubbermaid totes. Ha! Hasn't happened yet! So that is on the "to do" list for this weekend.

We have a large crawl space in the bathroom behind the tub which I use for storage, primarily seasonal decorations and gift wrap. Well I finally got this organized last week! So yay, one thing off the list. Since it's a small area with a slanted ceiling I can't really use those nice closet organizers. So I used rubbermaid totes, which are at least stackable. Now I don't have tons of overflowing cardboard boxes. I also set a limit. I tend to keep little boxes and baskets for hard to warp items, so I only kept what would fit in one bin. I did the same with the wrapping paper. I ended up with a large box of recycling and a grocery bag full of garbage by the end, but it is done!

We only have one closet for clothing in the whole house, it is at the end of the hall and of course has a slanted ceiling so I can not put in any shelving above the bar for hang items. I need to remove all the clothing that doesn't currently fit and I tend to toss items that I haven't found a proper home for in the bottom of the closet so this needs to be cleaned out and organized. I have started by placing all the Christmas gifts I have bought so far in a tote so they are in one spot and not all over the place.

I am also trying to declutter and get rid of things that I don't use. So yesterday I took the CD stand and put all the discs with their booklets into one of those CD books which will fit into a drawer rather than have this large and rather ugly plastic stand taking up space.

Also on my hit list is the dreaded laundry room! Due to the lack of storage in the house this is also one of those sort of "catch all" areas! It's piled with things and I figure since we haven't used most of it in the past year it's time to toss/recycle/donate a great deal of it. There is a counter in there with cupboards that must be cleaned out and I intend to designate one for laundry soap/clothes pins/etc. and use the rest for items we only use seasonally such as canning jars.

Objective 2: Complete Projects!

I have three projects on the go that I need to complete! First and most importantly is our bedroom, we are currently in the room that will be the babys room so I need to get this done ASAP so we can get the babys room all set up. I already painted. Our home was a rental for 20+ years before we bought it so it needs alot of TLC. I have posted about the bedroom I am working on, I have had a couple of set backs making it take longer. First upon ripping up the carpet (after stripping wallpaper and patching cracked plaster!) we found a rather large hole in the floor that had been patched with pressure treated lumber! So we had to rip that out, get some pine and redo that. Then I had to stain it to match the lovely aged pine of the rest of the floor (I haven't posted that yet, I just did that yesterday). And now I have to redo around the chimney since when they did our roof, the front part was done previously, apparently their working loosened the flashing on the side of the chimney they were not working on and so we got water running down inside, it ran down behind the paint and also made some of the mudding compound run. But I have to wait until it rains again before fixing it to ensure that it is indeed fixed. We have been using polymerized tung oil on the floor so I will have to check tonight to see if it will need another coat or not, we have put on about 4 coats so far, and the last one was starting to get the nice glassy finish, but a few areas were still soaking in. Then I can paint the trim and lastly install my lovely new light.

I am also working on refinishing a steamer trunk (the garish red one from a previous post). I am finding cleaning the metal to be a very difficult job. I am going to remove the canvas as we like the natural wood look. Once the metal is cleaned it won't take long to finish.

And lastly I started a quilt. I have all the strips for it cut and started sewing it together but I set it aside as I need to focus on one project at a time to get it done in a timely manner and right now the most important project is the bedroom. I have been working on the trunk when we have put another coat of finish on the floor of the bedroom as obviously I can not work in there at that point. The quilt is the last item on the list since though I did it in shades of green for the baby it does not really need to be done before baby arrives.

Wish me luck on my organizing, decluttering and finishing off projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment