Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Local Raspberrys

I just love the warm weather when we have a variety of local produce available! This weekend was the last weekend that our neighbour (term used losely in the country, they live about 5 minutes away) was offering raspberries for sale. I had purchased one flat earlier, I froze most of it and ate a couple of pints. I also purchased a flat this weekend, though I found the late ones spoil quickly as they are extremely ripe, but that is okay, I made some jam with them and boiled the rest and froze them. The first flat I froze simply by tossing the berries into a freezer bag. In the winter I just love being able to go to my freezer and pull out locally grown produce. We particularly like to use the berries for pies in my household! My husband just loves pies, and I must confess that I love them too!

We set aside some of the boiled raspberries and added sugar to use on top of scones, this was very good. I am very glad my husband did not buy scones as I discovered that they are extremely easy to make. They are similar to pie dough in that you do not want to work the dough any more than absolutely necessary. However, the dough is much more moist than pie dough. But I must say after making them for the first time this weekend I will not be buying them from the grocery store again!

No comments:

Post a Comment