Friday, August 19, 2011

Thrifting & Antiquing: Bedroom decor and fixes

Well last week I made my way over to the local thrift stores for a peek around. Now lately I have found the pickings to be slim but this time I found several items that I really liked, at prices I was willing to pay. I found another piece for my Avon glassware collection, though with this new piece I am up to two so I don't know that is deserves the term collection yet. They did have other Avon pieces, but they were $3.99 for one glass which I was unwilling to pay. But I did find one at $0.99 which I was willing to pay. I really like the deep red of the Avon glassware and the design.

Ialso found the following print that I thought would be quite pretty if I put it in a nicer frame, so at only $0.49 I thought it was well worth it. I am thinking of hanging this in the bedroom once it is finished.

I am painting the bedroom purple and want to decorate it in a somewhat romantic fashion. So to that end I found the below vase with a courting couple image, this was $2.99, one of my more expensive thrift store finds this trip!

I also found two mugs I rather liked, though at different thrift stores. The one on the left was only $0.25 and I thought the image was so cute! Latter that day I saw another at the antique store with a similar image on it for $6 so I was quite happy with the price I paid. The mug on the left was more pricey at $1, it is a Normen Rockwell image and I thought my grandmother might like is as she has some of the others.
After my thrift I made my way over to Stratford to the Antique Warehouse. And there I found a lovely courting couple lamp for the bedroom that will go nicely with my vase, this lamp was $16, but it works. I did have to buy a lamp shade for it, I am considering adding some fringe to it, what do you think?

Then I found an old iron floor grate and I was so excited! It was perfect as it did not have a lip on it and it is big enough to cover the old stove pipe hole in the floor of what will be the babys room! I did not want to patch the hole as I will never match the old aged pine boards but all the grates I have found that are large enough to cover the 12" diameter hole had a lip, and I did not want to ruin an antique grate. I have been waiting for months and months to come across something that would work so I am one very happy girl! The grate is the perfect width, but it is twice as long as I needed, but that's okay, I will be screwing it to the floor.
The bedroom I am working on is almost done, though I have run across one very large issue, to be covered in a future post, so it has set me back a little. But my hubby has come up with a solution!

Have a good Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment