Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yardsale Glass Treasures and Other Finds

On Saturday I went to the Welburn villlage yardsale with my MIL. It was alot of fun and didn't really take much time as it is only a few minutes away and is a very small village. I purchased the following dish:

I believe it is jadeite, I thought is was very cute! It does have some flaws, around the top wavey part it appears that over the years some cracks have formed, and in the bottom of the dish it looks as if there is a manufactures flaw. But for on $1 I thought it was well worth bringing home with me. I also love the cute little feet on it!

I found another bowl that I thought was lovely and it is the same pattern as a bowl I already have.

This is a Waltherglas bowl, made in Germany. My MIL pointed it out to me as she gave me the other bowl I have when she was doing some cleaning and thought I might like this one to go with it. This find was $2.  I love the detail on these bowls, the lovely pink roses! I also find them useful for serving dinner rolls and things like that in when company is over for dinner.

The third item I purchased is actually my favourite!

I have been looking for an old trunk like this for quite a while but usually they are fairly pricey. For $10 this one was too good a deal for me to pass up! It is in kind of rough shape, the leather handles are missing and the leather pieces on top are broke, but that is fine as over all it is still sturdy. I am planning to sand down the wood and paint the rest black so it will go no matter what colour I decide to paint our living room (right now I am thinking a blue gray). I want to use this as our living room table. I think it will work great and with a baby on the way it can double as a toybox.

I was very excited with these items as lately it seems that anything I might be interested in is fairly expensive. When I was in at one of the local thrift stores this week they had a cute little needle point stool and I could not believe how much they were asking for it. They had it prices at $75! All I could think was that this is a thrift store and this item was donated, and it seemed as it they were asking antique store price for it! 

Well I should be off. I have been working on family histories for both sides of my family and have borrowed some more photos from my grandmother that I need to scan so I can return them to her.

I hope you have had a good weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment